Saturday, March 29, 2008

Stop over in Dogs Bay, Connemara

Saturday morning, day before Easter: Having spent the night in Clifden, in Connemara, we spent the next day driving home through the incredibly scenic route around the coastal roads of Connemara. Superlatives abound in our experience of this trip. While the temperature was absolutely freezing, the sun was shining, and the water and landscape was striking! I think we all felt as if you could have pulled over every 10 feet. As it was, there were lots of pull overs to take snaps, but Dogs Bay was worthy of the hour plus we gave it. Rounding the coastal roads, we came upon this spot, which could just have easily been in the Caribbean-only about 40 degrees colder, plus intense wind chill factor.

Parking the car, we made our way down to the beach. I think it's human instinct to make a b-line for the waters edge. This shot below is Paul holding Elijah, talking to Sasha about the little sea life in the water. With my new, handy dandy camera, I got a great 'close up' from very far away!


Having finally made it to the beach, Paul took this shot of me holding Elijah with J&S in the background. The water was much more intense in color than I think what shows up in the photos, but I think the message gets across. It was a stunning beach.


Paul took the E to the car, which left me with the big kids. A very nice Englishman, apologetically wearing a colorful scarf wrapped around his head to keep his head warm, wearing his hat on top of the scarf, offered to take this photo of us. With the wind whipping all around us, I think it was all we could do to stand up straight long enough for him to snap the shot. Yea, I think we did it!


Facing the water looking out toward the coastal road.


On the way back to the car, Joshua stole a few last moments before we had to squeeze back into the car. It was hard to deny him the opportunity. We loved Dogs Bay...Next stop: Roundstone, then home.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

More beautiful pictures! I know how cold Ireland can feel so I shivered a bit looking at you guys. But Ireland is so breathtaking that it's worth the cold.

Unknown said...

Hi natasha! Great to see you in the US again! See my new blog link here

Kelli W. said...

Hi Natasha! I'm loving finding friends through this blogging world! Your family is beautiful and congratulations on your beautiful new baby! I also love the photos of places you go in Ireland since that is one place I've always dreamed of visiting.
It's so good to be able to catch up with you via your blog!
Best of wishes to you!